- Professional coaching builds capacity by building relationships, identifying strengths and supporting changes. Coaching focuses on using intentional questions and listening strategies to promote growth in individuals, classrooms, buildings, and districts.
Emotional Intelligence & Coaching
- What makes coaching so effective? Does emotional learning help? Here's an infographic, report, and insights from 1138 professionals to provide insight.
How to Coach with Positive Psychology and Emotional Intelligence Julia Stewart
- Differences between positive psychology and emotional intelligence and the role each plays in effective coaching
The Mistake I Made with my Grieving Friend Celeste Headlee
- Headlee explores "conversational narcissism" (sometimes referred to as autobiographical listening) and offers strategies to listen more effectively.
- March 18, 2015
The Art of coaching: Effective strategies for school transformation. (2013)
- From rationale to exploring the skills for transformative coaching practices, this information will appeal to the beginning coach and someone experienced at being in the coaching role.
Appreciative inquiry handbook: For leaders of change. (2008)
- Learn the essential elements of appreciative inquiry; a process that promotes change using a process that focuses on discovery, dream, design, & destiny.
Mentoring Matters: A Practical Guide to Learning-Focused Relationships, 2nd Ed. (2003)
- There's a difference between coaching and mentoring, but many of the skills are the same. This guide offers structures, strategies and tools for developing expertise in teaching. Tips for maximizing time and attention, an extensive resource section, and black line masters to support developmental interactions make this book a good reference for mentors.
The Power of appreciative Inquiry: A Practical guide to positive change (2010)
- Learn to generate organizational change that dramatically improves performance by encouraging people to study, discuss, learn from, and build on strengths and effective systems.
- Editable note-taking sheet for coaching conversation
- Guide for reflection following coaching conversations; can be used for self-reflection or for all participants to reflect as a group.
- Coaching Visual Support: States of Mind and Steps in Coaching Conversation
Unproductive Listening Patterns
- Committed listening requires both intentional practices and avoiding unproductive patterns. The definitions and components of four unproductive strategies. (See below for video examples of four frequently used, but unproductive patterns of listening.)
Coaching Conversation to support state of mind: Consciousness
- In this reenactment of a coaching conversation, intentional questions support a change in state of mind and ultimately leads to a change in programming.
Coaching Conversation to support State of Mind: Efficacy
- Video model of conversation that validates participant efficacy, changing the state of mind
- Colleagues engage in collaboration; watch to consider differences between collaboration and coaching. There's a time and place for each. Which method will work in your situation?
- A speech pathologist discusses the impact of consulting and coaching. Knowing the differences will help you make the choice for selecting the most appropriate strategy for interactions with colleagues.
How to prepare for a Coaching Conversation
- Simple steps for planning a successful conversation in a two minute video
- Unproductive Listening Patterns
Edutopia's Instructional Coaching
- Discussions, videos, and articles explore coaching in the field of education
Instructional Coaching Group
- Review presentations, download forms, and consider current blogs that relate to coaching; "The Instructional Coaching Group is committed to one goal: That every student receives excellent instruction, every day, in every class."
- Site dedicated to emotional intelligence; includes resources, a free eBook, videos and other information
TASN ATBS Calling all Coaches Newsletters
- Tackling Problems: June 2017
- Who Will You Be Coaching: July 2017
- Three Most Important Things: August 2017
- Building an "I Can Do It" Attitude: September 2017
- Is a suggestion a coaching question? October 2017
- Are our brains "wired to judge?" November 2017
- Can you coaching during a conflict? December 2017
- What's the key to coaching? January 2018