In the summer of 2016, the SMHI, in collaboration with numerous organizations and individuals, released School Mental Health: A Resource for Kansas School Communities. Below, find the contents of this resource as well as many other links and topics related to school mental health.
School Mental Health: A Resource for Kansas School Communities.
Outlines the purpose and background for the development of a school mental health resource for Kansas communities.
Context for School Mental Health.
Provides information and data on the need for addressing mental health in schools.
- Context for School Mental Health | SMH Resource
- Click here for information on national and state-specific mental health data.
- Click here for information on school mental health professionals.
Adverse Childhood Experiences, Trauma, and Implications for Education Professionals.
Explains the significance of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and trauma, including the impact on child and adolescent development and learning. Provides suggestions for how to support students who have experienced ACEs and trauma, and stresses the importance of self-care for educators who serve these children.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences, Trauma, and Implications for Education Professionals | SMH Resource
- Click here for more information on trauma-responsive schools.
Educational Frameworks and How They Support Student Growth and Development.
Gives an overview of models common in education and how they are used to support the needs of the whole child. Suggestions are provided for community partners and how parents/guardians can draw upon this knowledge to improve communication and collaboration with schools to support children and adolescents.
- Educational Frameworks and How They Support Student Growth and Development | SMH Resource
- Click here to find information on evidence-informed interventions.
Mental Health and Functional Behavioral Assessment.
Discusses the importance of considering mental health when conducting functional behavioral assessments and developing behavior intervention plans.
- Mental Health and Functional Behavioral Assessment | SMH Resource
Interconnected Systems Framework.
Outlines a promising framework for facilitating effective school-home-community partnerships within a multi-tier system of support.
- Interconnected Systems Framework | SMH Resource
Creating Family-School Partnerships.
Discusses the importance of partnering with families to maximize student success.
- Creating Family-School Partnerships | SMH Resource
- Click here for more information and resources on the topic of family engagement.
Explains the role of self-determination in helping students to take responsibility for the direction of their lives and provides a context for the person-centered-planning, wraparound and RENEW processes.
Provides a brief overview of a Tier 3 process that coordinates supports around the life of the individual rather than around the needs of the system and existing services.
- Person-Centered Planning | SMH Resource
- Click here to find more information on person-centered planning.
Discusses a promising Tier 3 practice that distinguishes itself from traditional service delivery in special education and mental health through its focus on connecting families, schools, and community partners in effective problem-solving relationships.
Gives an overview of a structured school-to-career transition planning and individualized wraparound process for youth with emotional and behavioral challenges.
Transitioning Students From Psychiatric Hospitalization Back to School.
Describes complications that often arise when students transition from a psychiatric residential treatment facility (PRTF) back into the school setting and provides examples of protocols and/or guidelines that can be developed to support more effective transitions.
Suicide: Risk Factors and How to Help At-Risk Populations.
Describes the risk factors of suicide and strategies for preventing suicide and supporting at-risk students.
- Suicide: Risk Factors and How to Help | SMH Resource
- Click here to find more information on resiliency.
- Click here to find national and Kansas-specific resources on restorative practices.
- Click here to find resources on mindfulness and well-being.
Describes several at-risk populations that may be encountered within school communities and provides helpful resources for each population. Find links to individual fact sheets and resources below.
- LGBTQ Students Fact Sheet
- Migrant and Immigrant Students Fact Sheet
- Poverty and Homelessness Fact Sheet
- Undocumented Students Fact Sheet
Mental Health Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence.
Addresses misconceptions surrounding children and adolescents who have a mental health diagnosis and provides schools with tips on supporting students who have a diagnosis. Find links to individual fact sheets below.
- Mental Health Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence | SMH Resource
- Anxiety Disorder Fact Sheet
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Fact Sheet
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Fact Sheet
- Bipolar Disorder Fact Sheet
- Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) Fact Sheet
- Conduct Disorder Fact Sheet
- Depressive Disorders Fact Sheet
- Eating Disorders Fact Sheet
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs) Fact Sheet
- Nonsuicidal Self-Injury (NSSI) Fact Sheet
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Fact Sheet
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Fact Sheet
- Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) Fact Sheet
- Schizophrenia Fact Sheet
- Tourette Syndrome (TS) Fact Sheet
A. Excerpt from Final Report on School-Based Mental Health in Kansas Conducted by The University of Kansas, School of Social Welfare, Center for Children and Families. Provides a summary of findings from online surveys that were disseminated statewide in Kansas to educators, community mental health providers, and parents. Includes recommendations for addressing systems-level infrastructure and practices within schools and community mental health centers.
B. Trauma-Informed Approaches Across Kansas Communities. Shares examples of a few of the efforts taking place across Kansas to begin addressing ACEs.
C. Additional Resources. Provides a list of additional resources on the topics related to school mental health.
This resource is intended for educational purposes only. The information contained herein is not intended to take the place of informed professional diagnosis, advice, or recommendations. The KSDE TASN SMHI assumes no liability for errors or for the way in which this information is used.