This course, which runs from September 16 to December 1, 2019, is designed for teachers who aspire to incorporate interpersonal competency development (i.e., assertiveness) within daily instruction, either in core content or other applicable areas. Through this course, educators will be provided the knowledge, resources and experience necessary to learn and apply assertiveness development practices to teaching in any content area.
At the end of the course, educators will be able to:
• outline and differentiate between the two main components of assertiveness;
• describe the Competency Framework to a colleague;
• develop an instructional plan to teach assertiveness, relating the content to class content;
• select effective methods to monitor student learning and practice of assertiveness;
• implement instruction and guided practice of assertiveness within class content; and
• assess quality assertiveness instruction and student impact.
Textbook/Materials: Materials for the class include free resources available at cccframework.org. Each participant will be provided with the required book: Noonan, P.M., & Gaumer Erickson, A.S. (2018). The skills that matter: Teaching interpersonal and intrapersonal competencies in any classroom. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Week 1: Learn About Assertiveness
Week 2: Explore Assertiveness Instructional Ideas
Week 3: Plan Your Assertiveness Instruction
Weeks 4-6: Provide Assertiveness Instruction
Week 7: Reflect on Your Assertiveness Instruction
Continuing Education Credit
60-100% = Satisfactory
0-59% = Unsatisfactory
Graduate Grades (Baker University)
90-100% = A
80-89% = B
70-79% = C
The course fee is $65.
Registration may be cancelled up to 14 days prior to the event for a full refund. Cancellations received within 14 days of the event will not be refunded. No-show registrations will also not be refunded.
Would you like to be notified about events like this in the future?
September 16, 2019 from 10:00 to 10:01 am
Course extends through 12/01/2019.
20.0 Professional Learning Contact Hours
|Provider||Kansans Can Competency Framework|
Amy Gaumer Erickson & Pattie Noonan
Competency Framework Trainers
|iCal||Download as iCal|