Are you interested in support for your LETRS professional development?
LETRS (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling) is professional development that provides teachers the skills they need to master the fundamentals of reading instruction - phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing and language. LETRS (3rd Edition) is an online professional development experience designed to be supported by a facilitator throughout the course. If you are planning to take one of the LETRS Courses (LETRS Units 1-4 or LETRS Units 5-8) during the 2020-2021 school year but are in a district that doesn't have a Certified Local LETRS Facilitator to provide support TASN can help. TASN is offering facilitated online support sessions and potentially two face-to-face sessions throughout the 2020-2021 school year. These support sessions are provided free of charge and led by Certified LETRS Facilitators.
LETRS is a self-directed training that includes an online course, reading and bridge-to-practice activities that result in the creation of case studies of students that you are currently teaching.
To participate in the facilitated support sessions:
1. Purchase the LETRS course from Voyager Sopris Learning (VSL) - paid for locally
Call Customer Service: 1-800-547-6747
Email Kansas Sales Executive Robyn Rogers Robyn.Rogers@voyagersopris.com
Online at URLs below:
LETRS for Early Childhood Educators https://store.voyagersopris.com/letrs-for-early-childhood-educators/
LETRS Units 1-4 (Part 1) https://store.voyagersopris.com/letrs/
- LETRS Units 5-8 (Part 2) https://store.voyagersopris.com/letrs/
2. Download the suggested Pacing Guide for completing the LETRS course and dates for all support sessions.
- Pacing Guide LETRS Units 1-4
- Pacing Guide LETRS Units 5-8
- Pacing Guide LETRS for Early Childhood (coming soon)
3. Register for the LETRS online FacilitatedSupport Sessions
- Registration LETRS Units 1-4 online Facilitated Support Sessions
- Registration LETRS Units 5-8 online Facilitated Support Sessions
- Registration LETRS for Early Childhood Educators online Facilitated Support Sessions (coming soon)
Individuals who participate in the online support sessions will also have the opportunity to participate in two face-to-face support sessions for interactive and hands-on learning (dates also on the pacing guide)
Is your district interested in having you as a Certified Local LETRS Facilitator?
The online facilitated support sessions are for participants of the LETRS online professional development who do not currently have a Certified LETRS Facilitator in district. If your district is interested in building internal capacity to provide ongoing professional development using the LETRS online courses, facilitator training sponsored by TASN is offered annually in Kansas. If your district is not committed to having other staff complete the LETRS online professional development in the future attending facilitator training is not necessary. Download the LETRS Facilitator Role flyer here.
TASN plans to sponsor LETRS Facilitator Training annually during the summer. Each LETRS facilitator training is limited by the publisher to 25 participants.
The LETRS online course(s) can be completed at any time. Spots in facilitator training will not be assigned until a passing score on the posttest has been achieved. Training spots will be assigned based upon a variety of factors including:
- Completion of the online course
- Passing the posttest (88% for Units 1-4/Units 5-8 and 90% for EC) with the score required by VSL by April 30, 2021
- Participation in support sessions - virtual through TASN or in district with Certified Local LETRS Facilitator
- District use of staff who are currently Certified Local LETRS Facilitators
- Districts will be limited to 2 spots at each facilitator training to accommodate more districts. Additional spots may be assigned based on space availability and district professional learning plan for use of LETRS.
If your district is interested in having you attend facilitator training please complete the Facilitator Training Interest Form
This is not registration for facilitator training, it only allows us to determine demand and communicate appropriate information to those interested.